JOURNEY INTO CYBERSECURITY
Anthony is the new kid on the block in cybersecurity. He just graduated with a BA degree in cybersecurity and is ready to make the world a little bit safer. Here come the roadblocks! Anthony gives his take on cybersecurity in education, the challenges he faced thus far and some ways to hack around the nay-sayers or hurdles thrown by “the system”. Get ready to be inspired!
Recommendations from Anthony
- Join a Cybersecurity Club in school.
- Teachers have a responsibility to guide young students to a positive application of cybersecurity skills versus the malicious hacking educational routes that children may get pulled into.
- Internships matter.
- Join a networking organization such as ISSA.
- Leverage online learning resources above and beyond the school or internship experience.
- See if your cybersecurity college can also pay for your Security+ certification.
- Help the next kid in line.
- Attend CTF competitions. Leverage online resources like TryHackMe or HackTheBox or CTFtime.Org.
- Watch DefCon videos online.
- Look for junior level jobs versus entry-level jobs on LinkedIn or Indeed.
- Apply multiple times for the same job. Be persistent.
- Apply for a job so you are in the hiring organization’s HR resume database.
- Use the same key words in your resume as in the job posting.
- ECPI University
- OffSec: OSCP Certification
- OSCP Exam Guide
- COMPTIA Security+ Certification
- InfoSeCon Raleigh conference
- John Hammond
- Marcus Hutchins – MalwareTech
- US CyberPatriot program
- Gary Vaynerchuk