I met Gina Yacone around March 2018 at the ISSA Raleigh chapter’s monthly networking event. We continued crossing paths at networking events and I had the opportunity to recommend Gina for a cybersecurity consulting job opening at Agio.
What I like about Gina is her contagious positive energy, eagerness to learn and her interpersonal skills. She is very approachable and just super kind. We have been working together for over two years, where I position Agio’s cybersecurity services to my clients and Gina steps in as a cybersecurity consultant, a virtual Chief Information Security Officer (vCISO), security trainer and compliance advisor. She does this with great enthusiasm and makes it look effortless.
Gina is an inspiration of mine because she is so invested in her community. She volunteers for numerous non-profits like The Raleigh Rotary, Tweens & Technology, Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS) and many more.
She has been my cheerleader and trusted friend as I navigate my own journey in cybersecurity and try new things.
I hope you enjoy my chat with Gina and find inspiration in her story.
- Invest in yourself.
- Network – find your tribe.
- Keep learning (blogs, podcast, books, talks, conferences).
- Get a study buddy.
- Practice at capture the flag events (CTF).
- Build soft skills along your journey.
- Fail fast and move on.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Find your own voice.
- Live your passion. Align your choices with your values.
- Give back to your community. Volunteer at security conferences.
- Be the change you want to see in the world!
- Don’t put yourself in a box!
- Network at ISSA (Raleigh Chapter)
- Volunteer for Tweens & Technology
- Attend and/or volunteer at Infosecon
- Volunteer or participate at Bsides or Hackerlabs’ CTF
- Give back to your community and join a local Rotary Club
- Join Women in Cybersecurity & a local chapter near you
- Continue learning at (ISC)², DefCon919, ISACA etc.
- University of New Hampshire, Masters in Cybersecurity
Gina Yacone is a cyber security consultant and vCISO with Agio. Gina is an information security strategist and speaker with a unique technical vision and business acumen. She is responsible for educating organizations about the ever-changing cyber security landscape and helping them build a dynamic cyber security program. She loves focusing on the unique challenges today’s organizations face.
Gina is an active member in the local North Carolina chapters of ISSA, (ISC)², Security + Beers, DefCon919 and OakCity Lock Sports. Gina sits on the board for Women in Cyber Security (WiCyS) North Carolina, Tweens & Technology, BsidesRDU as well as the Information Services Advisory Board for the Town of Cary.
Created with the support of T&T Creative Group.
Music by Wolves: “Life Stories”, “Kenya”, “My Time”